haiku

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

joanne chapman
activist and campaigner

Post by joanne chapman »

Lugh wrote:I like the challenge of writing to such a short structure and the added discipline of mentioning the elements or nature, hones that. Plain and simple. Bit like Karate. Learn the smaller moves and the bigger ones become easier to exercise...

Why don't you two try writing one instead of questioning it? You might even enjoy it. Honest :) ...

Hahaha

Blue sky scorching sun!
Fun, music love, alcohol.
Perfection with ice :wink:
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Lugh wrote:
Why don't you two try writing one instead of questioning it? You might even enjoy it. Honest :) ...
I'm not questioning it. I would also point out that I have niether the skill to do poetry or the interest.

:D :D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

jo wrote:Blue sky scorching sun!
Fun, music love, alcohol.
Perfection with ice :wink:
Nice one Jo 8)
the_leander wrote:
I'm not questioning it. I would also point out that I have niether the skill to do poetry or the interest.

:D :D
Honesty. Always the best policy Alan :wink:

I know diddly-squat about computers. Maybe we can learn from one another eh?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Good haiku, Jo.

The thing about the form is that it's totally addictive. They're easy to write. Quick. You can GUARANTEE that people will read them because they're so short...

A sonnet takes me about half an hour to write. A 'serious' poem of forty lines takes half a day or more. A haiku can sometimes take half a minute. The sonnet may get read. The long poem will only be read by someone who really wants to read it. The haiku will be probably read by everybody. See what I mean?

I should point out that this refers only to non-Japanese haiku; if you're going to do it absolutely by the classical rules, it probably takes rather more than half a minute to write. Plus you've got to learn Japanese. :?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Summer and the Death of Love. Haiku by Louis P. Burns

summer and the death of love.
A Haiku Poem by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 17th July, 2006.
  • oh the irony.
    summer reaches in, heating
    the coldness of us.
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
joanne chapman
activist and campaigner

Post by joanne chapman »

Thanks Delph and Lugh. I was three parts to the wind when I did it. :lol:

Very nice Lugh.

Jox

ps, I agree honesty is always the best policy :roll:
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

delph_ambi wrote: I should point out that this refers only to non-Japanese haiku; if you're going to do it absolutely by the classical rules, it probably takes rather more than half a minute to write. Plus you've got to learn Japanese. :?
Learning the Japanese language is more involved then it sounds, you have to learn to *think* like the Japanese also.

The thinking bit I can do, its just the language that remains. Sadly learning Japanese is so low on my list of priorities that I'll probably never get around to doing it, but certainly it would be nice to add to my CV.

Jo, well played :D
joanne chapman
activist and campaigner

Post by joanne chapman »

the_leander wrote:
delph_ambi wrote: I should point out that this refers only to non-Japanese haiku; if you're going to do it absolutely by the classical rules, it probably takes rather more than half a minute to write. Plus you've got to learn Japanese. :?
Learning the Japanese language is more involved then it sounds, you have to learn to *think* like the Japanese also.

The thinking bit I can do, its just the language that remains. Sadly learning Japanese is so low on my list of priorities that I'll probably never get around to doing it, but certainly it would be nice to add to my CV.

Jo, well played :D
I will give the Japanese version a go later. We had Japanese lessons years ago (I dropped out, the teacher had the hots for me ole fella). He completed the course and was quite good, probably because she was pretty lol.

Jox
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Communion Condensed. Haiku by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006

Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

joanne chapman
activist and campaigner

Post by joanne chapman »

I've cracked it. Took me ferrking ages, but I can't be beat by a bloody haiku. :wink:

senaka ie .....back home..
oboeru itsumo .....remember always
karui bara .....light, rose

se/na/ka i/e
o/be/o/ru i/tsu/mo
ka/ru/i ba/ra

I think I get the point of it all now. In Japanese most things are 1 or 2 letter syllables, making it bloody hard to do the ole 5 7 5 thing, when they have such long words.

I can see the point in writing it in japanese, coz its hard and sort of like a puzzle. I still can't see the point in English (sorry).

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it Mr Lugh, unless you can do better? 8)
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

One For Jo...

jo wrote:
I think I get the point of it all now. In Japanese most things are 1 or 2 letter syllables, making it bloody hard to do the ole 5 7 5 thing, when they have such long words.

I can see the point in writing it in japanese, coz its hard and sort of like a puzzle. I still can't see the point in English (sorry).

Put that in yer pipe and smoke it Mr Lugh, unless you can do better? 8)
psssst! pay attention...
One For Jo. A Haiku by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 19th July, 2006.
  • Jo chats a lot here.
    once? twice? light came as she wrote.
    light spread through us all...
Jo, I write these because I find them fun to do, that's all. Bit like someone else doing a crossword or knitting...

I'm not into conforming unless there's a point to it in my creative work. I don't see any point in someone from the West, attempting the Japanese style and choose to believe that this is an evolving form 8) ...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

One Breath, One Step. By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006

one breath, one step.
By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 22nd July, 2006.
  • everybody.
    one breath, one step at a time.
    that's how to live best...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

your poetry sings
of wisdom and compassion
keep writing, my friend
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

How To Make Pine Shine. By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006.

how to make pine shine.
A woodwork lesson and Haiku By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006.
  • after sanding pine,
    rub bee's wax into the grain.
    it will make it shine...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Thu Jul 27, 2006 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Senseless. by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 27th July, 2006.

senseless
by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 27th July, 2006. All Rights Reserved.
  • sickened by these wars.
    wasps hit windows. news blares on.
    it doesn't make sense.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”