Intellectual Property Manifesto for the UK

This link will take you to posts from activists of all sorts and may at times crossover to messages on the community arts activists pages of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

the_leander
visitor

Intellectual Property Manifesto for the UK

Post by the_leander »

From the Article:

The British Library has the Magna Carta, the Lindisfarne Gospels, and Leonardo da Vinci's notebook, but it's still not happy. Why not? Because it has the intellectual property blues.

The Library issued a manifesto today on intellectual property law in the UK and offered six suggestions for cleaning up the current mess, all of which attempt to strike a proper balance between the rights of creators and consumers of content. The Library sees itself as an "honest broker" in the contentious debate over IP laws because it understands both sides of the issue, according to British Library head Lynne Brindley. "As a publisher in its own right, the Library understands the opportunities and threats presented by digital to the publishing industries. As one of the world's great research libraries we are equally mindful of the threat that an overly restrictive, or insufficiently clear, IP framework would pose to future creativity and innovation."

Full story here.

The Manifesto is available as a PDF from here
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Hi Alan,

I'm still pretty shattered here mate but have attempted to digest this article today. I still can't work out where anyone thinks they get off assuming ownership or any form of control over another's work, without writing to them and enclosing payment cheques. This is going to take a while for my noggin to work out but the ethics of any assumed control are completely fucked up...

What it appears to boil down to is that irrespective of a person's history in arts and media, they are governed and exploitable by whoever own the world wide web... Am I right on this?

It really is going to get to a point where people seek a more militant approach to these rules and really do damage to the entire industry hiding behind and doing nothing for arts' sake...

I'd be all for that fight btw...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

National Union of Journalists response to the Gowers Review.

National Union of Journalists response to the Gowers Review.
  • Hi Alan. I've been reading online about all of this and came across the NUJ response to the Gowers Review. From what I can assertain, there really isn't much protection of copyright out there for anyone. Read the full NUJ report here. Alarming to say the least when you get to the bit about copyright bullying. Seems to be a case of 'play their game' or don't play at all...

Hyperlink in this post is to;
http://media.gn.apc.org/ar/gowers.html#FSM
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Lugh wrote:Hi Alan,
What it appears to boil down to is that irrespective of a person's history in arts and media, they are governed and exploitable by whoever own the world wide web... Am I right on this?
You can always be exploited. However no one owns the internet.
Lugh wrote: It really is going to get to a point where people seek a more militant approach to these rules and really do damage to the entire industry hiding behind and doing nothing for arts' sake...

I'd be all for that fight btw...
The Cost of Freedom in the Digital Age might help explain it a bit clearer.

However the original article was basically the british libraries pre-emptive strike against the BPI, BMI and american counterparts as they start looking to push their brand of rules into British Politics.
the_leander
visitor

Re: National Union of Journalists response to the Gowers Rev

Post by the_leander »

Lugh wrote:National Union of Journalists response to the Gowers Review.
  • Hi Alan. I've been reading online about all of this and came across the NUJ response to the Gowers Review. From what I can assertain, there really isn't much protection of copyright out there for anyone. Read the full NUJ report here. Alarming to say the least when you get to the bit about copyright bullying. Seems to be a case of 'play their game' or don't play at all...

Hyperlink in this post is to;
http://media.gn.apc.org/ar/gowers.html#FSM
This is where groups like the EFF or ORG come into play, you as an individual might not have the resources or will to fight a mega global corp, but they do and will.

But yes, on the net, you are basically after all is said and done reliant on other people's honestly. Not unlike real life in that regard.

I have found that if you treat people as though they are honest, they are more likely to be so then if you start out with the suposition that they are out to screw you.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

the_leander wrote:
Yeah, sussed that one Alan, but my concern is quite valid in light of how I was treated recently by the eejits running that despicable writer's community Dome2 and its MSN counterpart. They still don't appear to give a hoot about my rights as the original creator of a few works and if this is the case for me, an established writer and producer. What hope is there for someone new to the industry?
the_leander wrote:The Cost of Freedom in the Digital Age might help explain it a bit clearer.

However the original article was basically the british libraries pre-emptive strike against the BPI, BMI and american counterparts as they start looking to push their brand of rules into British Politics.
Cheers. Will read it now mate.
the_leander wrote:
This is where groups like the EFF or ORG come into play, you as an individual might not have the resources or will to fight a mega global corp, but they do and will.

But yes, on the net, you are basically after all is said and done reliant on other people's honestly. Not unlike real life in that regard.

I have found that if you treat people as though they are honest, they are more likely to be so then if you start out with the suposition that they are out to screw you.
Fair point :) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Lugh wrote:
the_leander wrote:
Yeah, sussed that one Alan, but my concern is quite valid in light of how I was treated recently by the eejits running that despicable writer's community Dome2 and its MSN counterpart. They still don't appear to give a hoot about my rights as the original creator of a few works and if this is the case for me, an established writer and producer. What hope is there for someone new to the industry?
Go to bigger well established creative communities, or start your own.

You've done the latter, and yes, occationally you will find some shit out there who will try to rip you off regardless of your credentials. That is the way of the world and the internet is no different in that regard.
Lugh wrote:
the_leander wrote:The Cost of Freedom in the Digital Age might help explain it a bit clearer.

Alan, have you posted the right link there mate? Sorry if I'm coming across as a bit of a div.
Heh, would you believe I didn't intend to promote my little corner of the newsvine network?

Original article is here.
Last edited by the_leander on Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

LMFAO... I just went back and edited my original post because I found the link. Soz for the confusion mate and cheers.

Oh. Nowt wrong wae promoting your good work Alan :D
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

more ninjar edits
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

the_leander wrote:more ninjar edits
Yeah :wink:

I've read that entire article now mate and I feel a lot less stressed out. I realise that we are really at the dawn of the digital era and there are many hurdles still to overcome. That said, it is important that all creative people take a stand and demand the rights to recognition for their work. Otherwise, creativity will become a passtime only and not a viable career option.

So, I agree with Creative Commons and see it as a step in the right direction. It would be good if as part of any agreement with others where Creative Commons Licensing is used, that the original artist / director / media producer / musician / writer was acknowledged and links back to their original work were respected.

Thank you for this Alan.

Well played dude 8) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “Activism on Sensitize ©”