Vision

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

spacecadet wrote:It was a good one, once again using the embarrassment factor.

Not quite as good as the Bowie episode - I'm still singing the song to myself from that one.
Good point Dave.

That song should be released as a single. Instant classic 8) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Don't forget - last episode of Extras tonight on BBC2 at 9pm. Will Andy finally dump his hopeless agent? Should be a total hoot. I can't wait...

If you haven't seen Death of a President yet, it gets a screening on Channel 4 tonight at 10pm. The show is set in 2007 and supposes a world where George W. Bush gets assassinated.

I recommend Death of a President and really can't see what the controversy is about Bush getting nutted. The sooner the better in my opinion...

Interestingly, in the show which was produced before North Korea's announcement that it was going to test a nuclear device, mentions this as a backdrop reality. Syria also gets a mention because one of the suspects is from there.

Don't believe the hype. This one is worth taping folks :wink: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

This World. A Doctor's Story...

This World. A Doctor's Story...
Review by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2006. All Rights Reserved.
  • I don't know if anyone else on here got a chance to see this show tonight. I just watched it round at a friend's house and if I'm 100% honest, I am shocked by it.

This was without doubt one of the best but most troubling documentaries I have seen in quite a while. Troubling because it is about the lives and work of doctors and paramedics working in the Al Yarmouk Hospital in Baghdad. Over 100 people get killed or maimed in bomb and gun attacks daily in Iraq and Al Yarmouk Hospital deals with many of these casualties.

The film was shot by an Iraqi doctor / documentary maker working in the hospital who cannot be named to protect his identity. There is a real danger he could be killed for getting his footage to the outside world.

This World - A Doctor's Story, is a harrowing account of both his experiences, those of his colleagues and many civilian victims caught up in the violence. I believe this show should be nominated for quite a few awards for its' content, media journalism and quality. A traumatising but outstanding work and essential viewing for anyone with a conscience.

To read more about This World - A Doctor's Story or to watch it on the BBC website; click here...

This World - A Doctor's Story
    Producer: Ben Summers
    Series Producer: Louise Norman
    Editor for This World: Karen O'Connor
Hyperlink in this post is to bbc.co.uk ©;
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/t ... efault.stm
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

COAST

I know I slagged this show off ages ago because it appeared their teams didn't show Derry (my hometown) but they are tonight. BBC2 at 9pm. I know it's short notice but if you want to see where I live take a peek at this show folks...

Derry's a mellow wee place (most of the time)...

That offensive post about Coast has been deleted too. Sorry Beeb :oops: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Land Of The Blind

Land Of The Blind
  • I've just watched what imho is one of the top ten movies of this year. Land Of The Blind by Robert Edwards starring Donald Sutherland and Ralph Fiennes.

If you're opposed to censorship and dictatorships and want to watch a movie that more or less sums up the world for a lot of people living in or under totalitarian and military law. Then this is indeed one to see and soon. A flawless work with an excellent soundtrack, performances, settings and storyline.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Fond Of Food And Hilarious Comedy?

Fond Of Food And Hilarious Comedy?

if you are then run out and buy the new DVD from Dylan Moran - Like Totally, make yourselves a few toasties, crack open a beer / cider / airfix glue; whatever you're into and prepare to nearly die laughing. I've been giggling my head off, screwing it back on and then laughing it off again all weekend.

'Like Totally' is a follow up to Dylan's first full stand-up show; Monster back in 2004. Everyone gets a touch of stick in 'Like Totally' especially the Yanks, his fellow Irish, the English and the Germans who he describes as sounding "like typewriters eating tinfoil while being kicked downstairs"...

Don't be put off by that review on the link up above from Sexy Librarian. She's clearly not well...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Johnny Was 2006. Starring Colin Stewart.

Johnny Was. 2006
^ Click title to watch trailer
Wikipedia wrote:Johnny Doyle escapes a violent past in Ireland to lie low in London, until his former mentor Flynn breaks out of Brixton Prison, hellbent on derailing the Irish peace process with a few well-placed bombs. Unable to escape Brixton, they are trapped together in Johnny's anything-but-safe safe house, sandwiched between a Rastafarian reggae pirate radio station upstairs and a West Indian Yardie crack-dealing gangster, Julius, downstairs.
Read the full synopsis of the film here. The original soundtrack for this film was written and produced by Adrian Sherwood. I am rapidly becoming a massive fan of this man's work and would urge you all to check him out. Very nice on the ear if you're into Dub or Reggae and it excels if you've smoked a few joints...

One of the supporting cast in this movie is a man called Colin Stewart. He's from Derry and an old pal of mine. I inadvertantly got him into acting back in 2000 via The Playhouse Theatre, David Gothard's creative writing masterclasses and Jim Lecky's Shakespeare company.

Colin has gone on to act in several big productions since. Back in 2000 I was the person who advised him to get into acting because if they ever made a movie about Michael Stipe of REM, he'd be a prime candidate for the role. They're the spitting image of each other (or they were back then). I met him and his pal Jimmy Irwine at Café Java just down the road from the theatre on my lunchbreak. I was half-joking but it's paid off for Colin and although he had no formal training*, He's doing very well for himself these days. Some guys have all the luck eh? Who knows? I might get back into acting at some point if they ever need a fat Irish actor who looks like a retired IRA volunteer...

Nah, in all fairness to Colin, he deserves the breaks and I'm much more interested in campaigning, community arts activism, new media arts production and writing these days...

Johnny Was 2006: Director: Mark Hammond. Writer: Brendan Foley. Political Action, Thriller. Crime. Starring: Vinnie Jones, Samantha Mumba, Roger Daltrey, Lennox Lewis, Colin Stewart. Music by Adrian Sherwood.

* Colin Stewart is now a seasoned and professional actor and Sensitize © / http://www.upstaterenegadeproductions.com wish him every continued success :mrgreen: ...

Hyperlinks in this post are to:-
http://www.imdb.com/video/screenplay/vi1571356953/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Was
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrian_Sherwood
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

CHILDREN OF MEN (UK 2006)

Children Of Men (UK 2006)...

You all have to see this one people. My recommendations for it go off even my scale. Powerful story set 20 years from now in England, where humanity has become infertile and the youngest person on the planet gets assassinated. This film is an adaptation of a book by P.D. James and sports a cast including Julianne Moore, Clive Owen, Danny Huston and the lovely Michael Caine as an Activist & Stoner who grows his own hybrid weed called; Strawberry Cough - more later *...

This film tackles what the world will be like in 2027, where immigrants are herded up into buses or shot in the street. Where marshal law rules supreme and the activists have guns and differing motives for fighting back. Into it all comes a woman called Kee (could be a play on the words 'chi' or 'ki' which both mean 'life') played by; Claire-Hope Ashitey who carries the potential for humanity's salvation...

This is a moving piece of cinema (out on DVD - Monday 15th January, 2007) with an exceptional soundtrack, superb camerawork and enough pyrotechnics to make Hollywood blush...

I wrote this little Haiku-style poem yesterday inspired by my first viewing of Children Of Men:-

'strawberry cough' .
By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2007. All Rights Reserved.
  • watch children of men
    see that the world is like this
    smoke 'strawberry cough'...
One final note and it's particularly for Psi but I suppose we all think the same. The closing song is performed by Jarvis Cocker and is called; Running The World. The chorus goes:-

"Cunts are still running the world.
Cunts are still running the world."

Watch the video for this song on YouTube here:- Jarvis Cocker - (Cunts Are Still) Running The World. That should give you all a suss on where this film is at politically :wink: and I don't wanna sound smug or as if I know it all, but that song is on a par with Working Class Hero by John Lennon in my opinion...

Peace, Love & Resistance...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Essential Audio / Video...

Essential Audio / Video...
  • It's a series of images and pictures from different wars, set to the anthemic and haunting song; On The Turning Away by Pink Floyd. Very effective... Click here to read the lyrics.
Hyperlink is to Google / YouTube & lyrics.com:-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaR59TAV_AU
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/pinkfloy ... gaway.html
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Good News; Cliq, Delph & Psi :D ...

Good News; Cliq, Delph & Psi :D ...
  • Right. I'll do my usual, long-winded intro with this next post and piss you all off just by meandering, using words and phrases that get you all mildly interested at first, but by the time you're halfway through this post you'll be screaming things like;

'Lugh!!!'

Or;

'You Bastard!!! Hurry Up!!!'

I'll even toss words like 'movie' and 'adapted to screenplay by' or "Monty! You terrible cunt!" in... Oh. Or how about this one; "I feel like a pig's shat in my head"?

Some of you are fidgeting. Aren't you? You're squirming about in your seats thinking;

'hello. Lugh's talking about; Withnail and I. That damn fine UK film starring; Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths, Michael Elphick and Ralph Brown that is intensely beautiful and positively hilarious.'

You'd be right of course. I am, but only slightly. It's actually the writer of Withnail and I - Bruce Robinson that I'm referring to. He has bought the rights to adapt 'The Rum Diary' by Hunter S. Thompson and it's scheduled for release some time in 2008.

I know Cliqtech and Delph are big fans of Hunter S. Thompson and that Psi, like me, is absolutely insane for the wonderful Withnail and I. So, there ya'z go folks. Something good to look forward to.

I can't wait for this one people :D ...

Read the IMDB blurb on this movie adaptation of The Rum Diary here...
Hyperlinks in this post are to;
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Withnail-I-Paul ... UTF8&s=dvd
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rum-Diary-Bloom ... F8&s=books
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0376136/
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Lift The 18+ Cert on; This Is England by Shane Meadows...

Lift The 18+ Cert on; This Is England by Shane Meadows
  • If you haven't already been to see; This Is England by Shane Meadows, I would urge that you take the opportunity to do so and soon. This film is a powerful representation of 80's Britain (England) revealing how a group of friends get torn apart by racism and focusing on the story of one young lad; Shaun played by Thomas Turgoose, whose dad has been killed out in the Falklands.

Shaun is being bullied at school, is grieving the loss of his father, can't communicate properly with his mother and becomes friends with some local skinheads; Woody played by Joseph Gilgun, Lol played by Vicky McClure and Milky played by Andrew Shim who all take him under their wing and show him a good time. It's important to point out that none of these characters are in any way racist and indeed are from various backgrounds.

There are some very touching scenes where the characters open up and explain their different perspectives. All of which set the scene before things change for the worse with the arrival of Combo played by Stephen Graham. Graham's performance throughout This Is England is both breath-taking and harrowing. I think it fair enough to say that this performance should earn him a few awards further down the line...

So, here we have a UK film from the man behind Dead Man's Shoes (2004) and it's getting censored despite being an educational journey through bullying and racism and how they damage everything in their path. Censors like Sue Clark of the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) say it is because of the use of bad language and scenes of violence but venues like; The Watershed Media Centre in Bristol have overthrown this decision and brought the age of viewing down to 15+. To read more about this click here.

I believe the public should be allowed to decide for themselves whether; This Is England should have an 18+ certificate slapped on it because it is an absolute masterpiece in film-making and social commentary. Other great features in; This Is England include the continuity, costumes, settings and superb soundtrack featuring a lot of classic Ska and Reggae tunes that add to the overall authenticity of the piece...

This Is England is in cinemas now...
Hyperlinks in this post are to;
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480025/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2129938/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0318543/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0566049/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0793532/
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0334318/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0419677/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQD7vd3B5A0
http://www.watershed.co.uk/cgi-bin/WebO ... rshed.woa/
http://www.shanemeadows.co.uk/
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Shane Meadows on The Culture Show

Shane Meadows on The Culture Show
  • revealing his experiences and thoughts on his latest film; This Is England.

This clip also includes discussion about the controversial 18+ certificate.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Salvador Oria
poet & writer

Is this fawcking England?

Post by Salvador Oria »

Prizewinner film "This is England" directed by Shane Meadows shows a few racist scenes perpetrated by skinheads against "Pakis" without remorse. I own probably the only copy of this film in Argentina because I asked a friend of mine to bring it for me from England, and I wondered why the local distributors never had it on their lists.

Watch the film and you'll guess why. One other possibility is that it is a "too English" film, whose purpose is not really understandable by outsiders (like me?).

I only hope this is NOT England nowadays; it shows a derelict middle class that wouldn't care for the education of their young people who slowly turn into useless, junky, filthy, violent and corrupted vagrant squats that have nothing to do but to drink plenty of alcohol, smoke reefers, attack foreigners, destroy houses, wreck motorcars, scribble on walls and other "white power" entertainments, if we don't mention the murder of Whitey.

Or at least that is the message that I read between lines. I only watched it once on the past week-end; perhaps a second or third time might help to lessen a bit the bad impression I've got of this really shocking film which I regard well classified as 18+. The intersped Malvinas-Falklands 1982 conflict images alluding Shaun's father, a dead hero there, are perhaps too many and not too within the film's scope.
"...my dreams were all my own; i accounted for them to nobody; they
were my refuge when annoyed - my dearest pleasure when free."
mary shelley in her author's introduction to "frankestein", 1831.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Re: Is this fawcking England?

Argie wrote:Prizewinner film "This is England" directed by Shane Meadows shows a few racist scenes perpetrated by skinheads against "Pakis" without remorse. I own probably the only copy of this film in Argentina because I asked a friend of mine to bring it for me from England, and I wondered why the local distributors never had it on their lists.
Hi Salvador :)

Great to see you back here on Sensitize. You're right when you say that the film has racist content, but the director/writer - Shane Meadows was addressing the sad history of racism in England/UK and the era in which he grew up (early 80's). There was a terrible amount of racist crime going on at that time. To be honest, racism is on the rise again now with attacks on Asians/Muslims due to the recent conflicts with Afghanistan and Iraq. I accept that there are extemists within the Islamic community who do need to be dealt with, but random attacks on ethnic citizens will only fan the flames of hatred and draw more and more young people into conflict. That's what Shane Meadows is saying with This Is England. He too sees hatred, ignorance and racism raising its ugly head once more.
Argie wrote:Watch the film and you'll guess why. One other possibility is that it is a "too English" film, whose purpose is not really understandable by outsiders (like me?).
That's debatable though. Margaret Thatcher's government committed troops to an illegal and ridiculous 'war' with Argentina over the Falkland Islands and in doing so, exported mindless butchery, hatred and savagery abroad, to the shores of your land.

The central character (Shaun) in This Is England lost his father in that 'war'. On his journey of discovery in this film he firstly turns to hate crimes as a reaction to the grief he felt because he believed his father died at the hands of people of a different culture/race. However, as the film moves on, he comes around to the realisation that hatred is wrong and England (back then) was corrupt. He sees that his father died for nothing.

The scene where he throws the British/English flag into the sea while the cover version of; Please, Please, Please. Let Me Get What I Want (originally by The Smiths) is playing on the filmscore, summed up his transition away from hatred and towards a hopeful future in my opinion.
Argie wrote:I only hope this is NOT England nowadays; it shows a derelict middle class that wouldn't care for the education of their young people who slowly turn into useless, junky, filthy, violent and corrupted vagrant squats that have nothing to do but to drink plenty of alcohol, smoke reefers, attack foreigners, destroy houses, wreck motorcars, scribble on walls and other "white power" entertainments, if we don't mention the murder of Whitey.
Like I said earlier, This Is England is a depiction of England back in the early 80's under Thatcher's reign of terror. There still are, and probably always will be, pockets of hate in society. Addressing and confronting it is the most effective way of controlling it though.
Argie wrote:Or at least that is the message that I read between lines. I only watched it once on the past week-end; perhaps a second or third time might help to lessen a bit the bad impression I've got of this really shocking film which I regard well classified as 18+. The intersped Malvinas-Falklands 1982 conflict images alluding Shaun's father, a dead hero there, are perhaps too many and not too within the film's scope.
Yeah. This Is England is worth watching a few time Sal. You say you think the 18+ certificate is justified, but couldn't it be viewed that a film that tackles hatred and racism, should be made available to the very people (young people) who can, if not monitored, fall in with bad crowds and become racist criminals?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Salvador Oria
poet & writer

'bout fawking 1980's England

Post by Salvador Oria »

Thank you boss for your comments. If you don't mind I'll copy here a few other ideas I pointed out by private e-mail to you today. This will explain, for the time being, a bit more of my present prejudice to our site readers, in line with your commentary.

Bad companies around a lonely boy, picked by his school elder colleagues served a path to his change of pure boyish conduct into a violent, adult-like, attitude; a sign of the times. Shaun's acting is very short of absolute perfection, bearing in mind his age, and to my humble view he should be given a special personal award for it.

Perhaps I need to watch the film once or twice again to diminish the bad feelings that this powerfulm film raised on me. But then, I agree that it is a film worth to watch, especially by parents with school-age children.
unquote

I might add that I wouldn't allow minors to watch the film, unless 16+ and accompanied by both their parents. Minors of such age ought to have instant advice should they need it, and their parents may have to explain the pros and cons of each situation to clarify meanings.

Fortunately 11 year-old Shaun's tit-sucking - or other petting situations - was not shown. This is a clear signal of the director's good taste...Thumbs up for him!

Argie
"...my dreams were all my own; i accounted for them to nobody; they
were my refuge when annoyed - my dearest pleasure when free."
mary shelley in her author's introduction to "frankestein", 1831.

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”