Banned Words

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Banned Words

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Are there certain words that should be banned from use in poetry? The people at writeThis certainly think so, and I'm inclined to agree. And before you think I'm talking profanities or suchlike, just take a moment to peruse the list... and then think of all the amateurish poetry you've ever read that makes your skin crawl because it's so corny and cliché ridden.

words that shall be banned from poetry (an evolving list)

the following words in all of their forms are henceforth and forever banned from poetic usage:

1. slayer
2. dragon
3. forest
4. twilight
5. mist
6. slew (slay)
7. sword
8. tears
9. wicked
10. glimmer
11. quest
12. impassioned
13. vow
14. demon
15. unsheath
16. shadow
17. flame
18. unreal
19. abyss
20. soul
21. tear
22. longing
23. eternity
24. infinity
25. life
26. heaven
27. hell
28. broken
29. stung
30. love
31. sweetheart
32. clutching
33. devil
34. pain
35. shores
36. searing
37. golden
38. wings
39. thou
40. thee
41. nevermore
42. quoth
43. flutter
44. breeze
45. knight
46. Jennifer
47. passion
48. burn
49. soft
50. song
51. sky
52. earth
53. mystery
54. death
55. sift
56. obsession
57. ice
58. black
59. heartache
60. fire
61. fantasy
62. silhouette
63. eye
64. shimmer
65. confusion
66. scorn
67. heart
68. desire
69. awesome
70. loins
71. forest
72. road
73. wood
74. breathtaking
75. summer
76. travel
77. sex
78. poetry
79. surreal
80. spiritual
81. thou
82. beat
83. creative
84. cloud
85. flower
86. grass
87. leaf
88. mind
89. joy
90. world
91. death
92. sparkle
93. kindness
94. sepia
95. snow
96. crunch
97. flowing
98. pulsating

Acknowledgements to writeThis.com for kind permission to reproduce this list.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

LMFAO Delph :P ...

It'll certainly seperate the wheat from the chaff within poetry circles. Might be fun writing a poem that only included words from that list though. I might give it a go, purely as an experiement in anarchic writing :wink: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

I'd add shard, soul, and remove song and sky from the list. And we all have words we tend to overuse which we should avoid whenever we can.

Mike
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Lugh wrote:I might give it a go, purely as an experiement in anarchic writing :wink: ...
Can one of you hit me a slap in the teeth and yell:-

W I S E

U P

L U G H

Y A

H A L F W I T
. . . ! ! !
at me.

Please?

Ta muchly :roll: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

give it go anyway - the challenge is to produce a piece of poetry that isn't clichéd to death, ie something fresh and genuine...
icarusweeping
visitor

Epiphany!

Post by icarusweeping »

How about this?

Instead of removing all the words from our vocabularies as suggested, why not run a competition where one must use all those words in the order listed? Good idea? Oh, I'm full of them, I tell you!

No more than 2000 words, mind.....

iccy :lol:
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

It's been done, iccy. I won. :shock: Honest. Writethis.com ran the comp some months ago and I entered a set of three linked sonnets that pretty much used all the words, though not in the right order, and I actually beat all comers, and won a poetry book.

Here's my winning entry http://www.writethis.com/banned001.html
icarusweeping
visitor

Humph......

Post by icarusweeping »

You certainly know how to ruin a man's fun... I was joking. Humph....Now I'll have to go have a look, won't I?

Not in order? Sheesh....
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

I fell about laughing when I saw you guys had reanimated this thread :D ...

I've just read through the list once more and the challenge to write something utterly horrible, perhaps using every third word first. Then when I feel that task complete, every second and so on until every other word was used, looms ever nearer. I may also toss in the occasional expletive like; 'bastard/bastards', 'cunt/cunts' and 'fucker/fuckers', but that depends on where my humour levels are at on any given day.

You can argue with me about this if you like. I'll just laugh all the louder because I haven't written a damn thing. Yeah. That's it :idea: ... I'll create a literary conspiracy that 'really doesn't exist.'

Christ I'm good.

Right, you lot carry on. I'm just off to treat myself to a sandwich for being so clever :P ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Should the word; F'cunllockstard be banned before it's discovered?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Quite probably. :shock:
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

(chuckles)
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

icarusweeping
visitor

Ah, you're a joker, Delph!

Post by icarusweeping »

I know that your banned list of words is in that infamous English humour... I'm almost laughing!

I mean, if you were serious, you'd have banned troglodyte already. Also zabaglione, Zarathrustrian, neanderthal, yo yo and yttrium.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

What about the words Margaret and Thatcher, Tony and Blair, Gordon and Brown when used together? Not only should they be banned. They should be burned. Them and George W. Bush of course...

Here's a peace offering bro;-

viewforum.php?f=60

Sláinte
^ Cheers

Sonas órt ó Lugh
^ Best wishes from Louis
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

icarusweeping
visitor

Post by icarusweeping »

OK, thanks, Lugh. I shall use it gently. I did try to respond to your PM but apparently the administrator has 'turned me off.'

Cheers, John

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”