Conversations

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Conversations

Post by Mike Daniels »

Conversations

I

She says - you never understand.
He says - try me.

She says - I keep trying to explain.
He says - I try to understand

She says - you never will
He says - I know.

As if they shared some common ground,
some vague philosophy, or language.
They merely used the same words
to talk about the same world,
walked the same paths
upon the same hills,
met the same people
and had the same conversations

how are you, Mrs Bailey?
mustn't grumble, and yourself? -

She says - I know you try
He says - but empathy isn't enough.

They sit and hold hands
and try out their smiles
behind fake skin.

II

She says - it's not about empathy.
He says - what do you mean.

She says - It's about experience.

He stays silent, as if the words will transport her meaning, transport them all to a place of comprehension, a place of mutuality. But the silence stretches out and on and up and through and by and over. Every drop of silence filled with a separate I, each I trying desperately to be someone else, and somewhere else, and something else, and no one and nowhere and nothing, all at the same time.

How are you, Mrs Winters?
mustn't grumble, and yourself?

She tries out a smile
as if softening towards him.

He says - its not just experience.
She says - I know.

III

She says - I had such hopes
He says - me too!

In the cracks in the wall, a sliver of ambition remains, that distant moment of sharing when white came easy as flowers, when promises came easy as the wave on the sea, a matter of gravity and a deep swell. Across that crack, one sepia and grey photo of the day they graduated, as if the paper might bind, might carpet their failure with a mask of shows.

She says - we were so happy
He says - for a moment
She says - what went wrong?

A poet's truth here - how do you take a pair of eyes and flood the thoughts of another with the texture in those eyes? And here's another truth - this is my truth, these are my eyes and my words, and she is me and he is me and I am the Baileys and the Winters of the world though I pretend otherwise.

how are you, Mr Thompson?
Fine thanks, and yourself?

She is silent, looking for an Exit in bright neon red and all she sees is the slight glint of malice in his smile, and she knows that malice as well as the poet knows his POV - there is no other in this world of mine.

He says - I still love you.

As if that is ever enough.

IV

She said - I'm filled with sorrow
He said - tell me
She said - I haven't the words
He said - show me
She said - I don't know how.
He said - it's communication of a sort

The earth, being perverse, tries on new clothes backwards just as we try out new relationships. The earth, being perverse, holds up her mountains, the higher the better, the higher the younger, so energetic and fresh and creased with vigour. We put on a new friendship with energy and hope, and take it off when listless and worn.

She says - we used to be
He says - so close
She says - yes, that's it.

The poet lingers for a moment on the word 'close,' as if searching for a clue to personality. It's a little gesture, almost meaningless and invisible, but he warms to his theme. Mr Thompson drinks himself to death in the river that lies at the bottom of his garden. It's his most successful act. the coroner calls it 'drowning.'

She says - Poor Mrs Thompson.
He says - yes.

V

She says - We don't talk anymore
He says - perhaps we've nothing new to say

She says - perhaps
She thinks - but I can always find things to say to my sister
He thinks - I wonder why the tap always drips, even though I fitted a new washer

He says - nothing ever happens to us
She thinks - you may be boring, but I want to live.

Poor Mrs Thompson, left all alone
Her husband , poor sap, ran out
of decent conversation,
decided to give them all
something new to talk about.

Perhaps he worried about the holes in his socks, or his wife's infidelity with the man three streets away, or the way the tree grew in his garden and blocked out the light, or the broken down washing machine that stood waiting in the garage against the day he would take it out to the tip in the boot of his car, or going bald, or losing his mind.

She says - the ambulance came at midnight
He says - just as we were dropping off to sleep
She says - and they took poor Mr Thompson away.
He says - I wonder what drove him to it

She talked it over next day with Mrs Bailey, which is when she heard of Mrs Thompson's infidelity for the first time. She found herself colouring up because of it, she thought from embarrassment, though later she realised it might just have been that she found the thought of infidelity exciting.

She says - Poor Mrs Thompson.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Perfection my friend :D ...

I meant what I said over on The Write Combinations Mike. I would dearly love to work on scripting these. Although, having just read them again I realise they are superb as they are.

You have caught all the quality of the vignette (literature/performance) through the medium of poetry and potentially film or stage. Truly a new media poetry form in itself.

Salute 8) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Mike Daniels
poet & writer

Post by Mike Daniels »

If you still want to work on them, go ahead. Have fun. I'd ask two things - though I know that I actually don't need to ask as both things are part of your normal way of working.

1 - let me have a look over your final draft, before you do anything else with it.

2 - some kind of acknowledgement in the final piece...

As i said, both of them fall within your normal approach to life, the universe and everything, methinks.

Again, have fun

Mike
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Thanks Mike :) ...

It may come to nothing, because there would be a helluva lot of work involved with these, but I would definitely keep you updated on each draft via private message on here and email.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Mike Daniels
poet & writer

Post by Mike Daniels »

It's just experience that tells me to be upfront about this kind of stuff - saves a lot of arguments later. As I said, my experience also leads me to believe that you'd act appropriately anyway.

Luck with it.

Mike
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

danimik wrote:It's just experience that tells me to be upfront about this kind of stuff - saves a lot of arguments later. As I said, my experience also leads me to believe that you'd act appropriately anyway.

Luck with it.

Mike
For me the process of collaborative or community artistry, is only ever truly educational or fun, so by that - enjoyable, when everyone involved is acknowledged and fairness is embraced.

Thank you for your kind words Mike. Very much appreciated :D ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”