Why the EFF is right to be pissed

This link will take you to ongoing debates and discussions on several topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©. All members of Sensitize © are welcome to start new debates and discussions.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Re: Why the EFF is right to be pissed

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Re: Why the EFF is right to be pissed

Hi Alan.

I'm a bit confused by this one. Firstly, it appears to be from an American source, although I appreciate that when it comes to the internet, global boundaries may be different.

If I'm reading this correctly then it looks like civil liberty is being limited. My reasons for saying this stems from this section of the post you have linked us to above:-
EFF article on The Register courtesy of the_leander wrote: Under the district court's interpretation of Section 230, states can now require sites to filter out content, mandate take-downs of any content that a user claims is defamatory or violates the right to privacy, or do anything else that doesn't revolve around an element of publication. Liability in these cases would result from the sites' failure to protect the rights of others before or after publication, and not from the actual publication itself.
I've underlined the bit that concerns me. Sensitize is part of the www.upstaterenegadeproductions.com network which is an independent media source and new media publishing point online. I would assume therefore every right as a participant on this network and as a published freelance journalist with several articles in print, to carry out electronic / new media exposé journalism as part of my continued career. I would also expect that my source materials and research were free of any interference from people I may be exposing. Does all of this refer only to members of the public with standard, non - media / non - commercial websites? Or, can it adversely affect my continued work and/or career opportunities?

Aren't all websites a form of media in one way or another in that people build and then upload materials such as film, images, music or writing to them? It seems a bit much that anyone's right to be expressive online can be limited or restricted and would fly in the face of a great many peoples expectations of the internet as we progress electronically.

Thanks for posting this Alan...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

Nice to see the lawyers all pulling in the same direction...............

It seems to me that this ruling says something different.

Hmmmmm. Combine the two rulings and what you are left with is that websites are free from legal action for libels posted on them unless they upset the US government. Am I right?
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet wrote:Nice to see the lawyers all pulling in the same direction...............
Absolutely feckin' priceless ain't it?
spacecadet wrote:It seems to me that this ruling says something different.
Excellent bit of research Dave mate :D ... Nicely delivered too... It would indeed look as though there are conflicts of ethics and opinion.
spacecadet wrote:Hmmmmm. Combine the two rulings and what you are left with is that websites are free from legal action for libels posted on them unless they upset the US government. Am I right?
Looks like you are right Dave. I still think everyone working at The Pentagon, The White House and The US Senate are complete retards though.

I'll go further.

They're a collective bunch of Ted Haggard wannabes who 'yank' themselves off over pictures of Jesus. They'll need to provide me proof that they don't before I consider changing this long-held belief...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

Lugh wrote: They're a collective bunch of Ted Haggard wannabes who 'yank' themselves off over pictures of Jesus. They'll need to provide me proof that they don't before I consider changing this long-held belief...
I'm sure I've said it here before. Fundamentalist Muslims concern me, but fudamentalist Christians scare me sh*tless.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet wrote:
I'm sure I've said it here before. Fundamentalist Muslims concern me, but fudamentalist Christians scare me sh*tless.
Yeah, and they're crap in bed..!
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “Debate & Discussion on Sensitize ©”