I didn't join the British Army to conduct American policy

This link will take you to ongoing debates and discussions on several topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©. All members of Sensitize © are welcome to start new debates and discussions.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

the_leander
visitor

I didn't join the British Army to conduct American policy

Post by the_leander »

As a trooper in the Special Air Service's counter-terrorist team - the black-clad force that came to the world's attention during the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980 - Ben Griffin was at the pinnacle of his military career.He had already served in Northern Ireland, Macedonia and Afghanistan as a member of the Parachute Regiment, and his sharp mind, natural fitness and ability to cope with the stress of military operations had singled him out as ideal special forces material.

Born in London but brought up in Wales, Mr Griffin left school at 18 with two A-levels and six GCSEs and, although he could have become an officer, he preferred life in the ranks.

Full story here.

Puts me in mind of Blake LeMoine, only treated far better.
upstate
lugh's sensitize toolkit
Location: A cardigan pocket, amid handkerchiefs and hard boiled, fruit flavoured sweets.

Re: I didn't join the British Army to conduct American polic

Post by upstate »

the_leander wrote:As a trooper in the Special Air Service's counter-terrorist team - the black-clad force that came to the world's attention during the Iranian Embassy siege in 1980 - Ben Griffin was at the pinnacle of his military career.He had already served in Northern Ireland, Macedonia and Afghanistan as a member of the Parachute Regiment, and his sharp mind, natural fitness and ability to cope with the stress of military operations had singled him out as ideal special forces material.

Born in London but brought up in Wales, Mr Griffin left school at 18 with two A-levels and six GCSEs and, although he could have become an officer, he preferred life in the ranks.

Full story here.

Puts me in mind of Blake LeMoine, only treated far better.
Hi Alan,

The first thing I have to say before fully responding to this is that I have no real love for the British Army, or for that, any of the armies that engaged here in Northern Ireland. I have been a struggling pacifist for most of my adult life and see men / women with guns as a threat to humanity, full stop...

I also have what could be perceived by others to be a shady history. I have been on the frontline of many campaigns to bring about change or address situations both here in Ireland and while living in London. This has led to my being singled out a few times and dragged in for questioning by the Police (the former RUC), and even the Transport Police while working for British Rail...

That aside. I have to say that Mr. Ben Griffin is in all honesty, a man to be respected. He made the conscientious decision that the war in Iraq was illegal and stood by his principles. If more were like him, instead of blindly following orders, then conflicts throughout the world could be brought to a close a lot sooner.

I also find the stance his employers took a refreshing one. They recognised this man to be a man of conviction and gave him the credence he deserved... Fair play to them as well. It is the military involved out there that can stop this ludicrous war and if they worked more on principles, then most of the bloodshed that America has caused could have been and may potentially still be, thwarted...

As for Blake Lemoine. America will never learn respect for minority opinion or courage of conviction. They have the power and want to hold on to it. They will always persecute anyone who speaks out. I have absolutely no love or respect for American government administrators, employees or officials. They are a disease on other people's cultural rights to live their lives. They enforce military regimes all over the world and assume the world owes them something for a war that happened over 60 years ago. Fuck them...

I hope Lemoine, his family and their supporters, cripple this stupid mindset within American power that assumes some moral high ground / superiority. I hope they embarrass them at every opportunity and Lemoine continues to refuse to carry out their orders.

Reading back through Ben Griffin's accounts of what life is really like for the military out in Iraq is quite alarming. He refers to what the American military do to ordinary people just living their lives.

Ben Griffin is a real soldier who knows who the real enemy is...
Last edited by upstate on Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
the_leander
visitor

Post by the_leander »

Having been a teen still at the ceasefire called by the IRA, there is for me a certain unreality about the conflict in Northern Ireland, which from what I've seen when looking into the conflict, I think I'm lucky to have.

I do have questions, many of them, I'm curious to know for instance, do the scenes this chap describes about trying to avoid lifting random people mesh with your own experiences of British handling?

There are many other questions, most of which I can't think of right now that I'd love to get answers to.

It is an odd thought for me to think of having being at war with a country, when I know people who lived through it, that we are here on this board as fellow artists, as equals (ignoring the ban button you hold for the moment :wink: )...

Could it be that as new generations come into play, the internet's greatest gift to humanity, is in denying people the ability to think of going to war against some far flung foe, because they are right there in front of them, talking to everyone else at their computer screens? It would seem to me to make that desision a lot harder to swallow, afterall, its easier to attack a stranger then someone you know...

This is what I get for not having a propper sleep pattern...

When I next sleep and wake up, this post is either still going to look as profound as it felt as I thought it, or (more likely) its going to look like the semi lucid rantings of a sleep deprived ex mataloe with delusions of artistry...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
upstate
lugh's sensitize toolkit
Location: A cardigan pocket, amid handkerchiefs and hard boiled, fruit flavoured sweets.

Post by upstate »

the_leander wrote:Having been a teen still at the ceasefire called by the IRA, there is for me a certain unreality about the conflict in Northern Ireland, which from what I've seen when looking into the conflict, I think I'm lucky to have.

I do have questions, many of them, I'm curious to know for instance, do the scenes this chap describes about trying to avoid lifting random people mesh with your own experiences of British handling?

There are many other questions, most of which I can't think of right now that I'd love to get answers to.

It is an odd thought for me to think of having being at war with a country, when I know people who lived through it, that we are here on this board as fellow artists, as equals (ignoring the ban button you hold for the moment :wink: )...

Could it be that as new generations come into play, the internet's greatest gift to humanity, is in denying people the ability to think of going to war against some far flung foe, because they are right there in front of them, talking to everyone else at their computer screens? It would seem to me to make that desision a lot harder to swallow, afterall, its easier to attack a stranger then someone you know...

This is what I get for not having a propper sleep pattern...

When I next sleep and wake up, this post is either still going to look as profound as it felt as I thought it, or (more likely) its going to look like the semi lucid rantings of a sleep deprived ex mataloe with delusions of artistry...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Hi Alan :)

Right. Gotta point something out firstly. Purely to keep this thread cohesive to members and visitors who might join in, further down the line:-

I answered your initial post starting this thread on my/this 'upstate' passport into here. Admin..! We're the same everywhere. Blundering fools..! So. For the record, it's me - Lugh. Your fellow creative-head and equal, over here in Derry...

I'm now going to do a quick costume change and come back on my proper passport.

Two ticks...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Ahhhhh.... That's much better... :P

One of the reasons we're calledSENSITIZE © is because it's the name of a song by the Derry band; That Petrol Emotion / TPE / The Petrols. They used to be; The Undertones, one of John Peel's (more later) most talked about, quoted and aired bands and whose song; Teenage Kicks was played at his funeral and is quoted on his gravestone...

I was living and working in London during the late 80's and very early 90's to a backdrop of the John Peel Sessions on BBC Radio 1. When I first arrived there in February 87, I got a job as a bingo caller. I was shite at it and quit 4 days later. Then I was a security guard based on the main reception of a leading record company*, up near Hyde Park, Marble Arch and Speaker's Corner. Neat place for an anarchist with some previous training in community arts and drama to find himself in... Access to music. Excellent..!

The Petrols had just done some deal with this record company who were promoting them with massive posters of the 'Swamp' 12" single cover, up on the walls and airplay on several regional and national stations. Real Art was happening all around me and I was mesmerised. There was also a planned photo-shoot in an inflatable pool full of a novelty toy back then called Slime, in the Press office, but to the best of my knowledge, lights were left on overnight, the slime melted and the photo-shoot was 'abandoned'.

I lost my job there about 2 months later. I was an arty-farty, young smartarsed reactionary thinker and writer, who always spoke my mind, and unfortunately upset a member of staff with a reference to her flat chest.

Oops..! :oops:

In reality, I was drunk. I'd run up a massive phone bill ringing back home to Ireland and to everyone I knew saying; "Fuckin' Eh..! Am only here a few weeks an am working wae rock stars ya'zz bastards..! Beat that..!", as I slugged beers, bought for the recording artists, with other members of staff. The announcement that I was to be dismissed was on one such eventful but hazy, early summer evening.

Hey-ho... Life rolls on...

I got a few starts on building sites, joined a couple of drama nightclasses in the Eastend of London where I lived and eventually ended up working on the railway and forming a band called Famous Blue Raincoat with 2 English blokes; Andy and Paul. I was rythym guitarist and lyricist, Paul was bass and Andy was our keyboardist / programmer / lyricist and singer. Much to my delighted suprise, he was also into The Petrols. Fuckin' awesome..! An Englishman who liked a Derry band. That was a cool buzz for this Irishman :)

Life went on. Band. Job. Relationship. All was good and time idled by. One day round at Andy's he played me a few songs he'd just bought on CD single. One was Hey Venus and the other one was Sensitize. Both cracking tunes (imho) and both by That Petrol Emotion. Both discs also had remixes of the same tracks. You might want to check them out... Good tunes...

The song; Sensitize, just sort've fitted in well with every other song popular in the 1990 UK Charts. I bought a copy that same day and we both played it, a lot and to as many people as possible and for absolutely ages. Everyone liked it.

We were all pretty creative and so were many of our friends who called by ;). Some were from African, Asian, Buddhist, Hindi, Islamic, Oriental or West Indian backgrounds. All of us were chilled out and just waiting for the next soundwave to boost our creative energies. John Major, the deathly grey shadow of Thatcher was the Prime Minister and the first big rumbles of war in Iraq were being heard.

Again, art was happening, only this time, I was knee-deep in its' creation with really cool people from many different walks of life... The John peel Sessions, The Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen and Sensitize by That Petrol Emotion were blaring outta speakers all over the place.

Sensitize is a song I still listen to quite a lot. It reminds me of those crazy and creative days. I lost my original CD copy and I can't get my hands on the remixes of it. Each of which are unique and wonderfully laid and remixed tracks. I would gladly pay the going rate plus postage if anyone found them for me... Fuck it. I'll even buy them a few pints...

The other reason we're called SENSITIZE is because, while growing up here in Derry, frequently, on the news or radio, the word 'de-sensitised' would have been said when describing ordinary people living and working over here. The implication was that we were 'switched off' to what was going on around us. I don't think so..! Maybe we were. Maybe some 'slow release' form of shock set in as we took mental notes of the barbarity a few humans, on all sides here could muster. That sounds more like it.

Imho, the vast majority, from all communities were, brave but terrified, war-weary and eternally hopeful people who wished no harm to anyone. I believe that the people involved in violence stopped, and listened to the wishes on the lips of 'the many'. Or, they became inspired to 'creatively' work towards coming together and sharing our unique and colourful but divergent cultures. Growing up here I knew I was sick to the pit of my stomach whenever I encountered ethnic, political or religeous bigotry, in any of its' demented forms... I also know I was never alone. Our generation talked to one another. It was encouraged and I know I asked many questions.

I suppose in reality I was confused by it all. I came from mixed parentage; Irish, Nationalist / Working Class, Catholic and Scottish, British, Middle Class, Protestant. I loved / love my whole family equally and have never given a toss if one supported Celtic and another, Glagow Rangers. I've said before, I'm atheist in my thinking so religion isn't a factor... Fuck it. Despite our differences we're all good people, family, ya know? Roots... My summers were all spent in Clydebank and the surrounding regions of forestry, lakes and villages or up in the city of Glasgow and beyond to Cumbernauld. My education / formulative years and deep respect for all that collaborative, creative arts and music could/would achieve and its' soundtrack - the John Peel Sessions on the radio.., here in Derry then further afield.

This place was and still is a thriving landmark and resource for dedicated activists, artists, musicians and media-types. We've got fresh air, a healthy mistrust of anything too authoritative, good food and a damn fine selection of bottled home brews... We're a friendly bunch and most of us care a lot about the state Earth has been allowed to tumble into due to big business, corporates, governments, religions, toxic fallout and war.

I reckon it's safe to say, the vast majority of us, irrespective of background or community, see the war in the Middle East as yet another futile expenditure exercise, wasting finances and eating up human lives in a bid to own more oil.

I see it as something that bolsters and inflates the egoes of a few 'not very well' and weak individuals, namely; Bin Laden, Blair, Bush, Hussein and their cronies / fanatics or anyone who assumes control through violence. You choose. They're all the same to me; lunatics... It is my sincere and humble hope, that members of the Commonwealth, the English, Northern Irish, Scottish and Welsh who identify as British, stop and see how they are being exploited by these very same lunatics and their pointless crusades. Wake up folks. War is nothing but ugly...

Many terrible things happened here. Innocent men, women and children got caught up in explosions or drive-by killings. Paramilitary armies, police and soldiers butchered and killed each other, or by-standers, while refusing to talk openly about what was common in each other and gangs ran amok. Hatred and ignorance were rampant and even though we all knew it was wrong, some chose to go forward, blissfully blind. Diazepam and Valium were prescribed wholesale to people in the 70's, 80's and early 90's. Later, anti-depressants and 'wonder-drugs'. Draw your own conclusions. A grey and grim atmosphere both over the landscape and political climate and horizon always loomed, while attitudes remained in a sort of 60's - 'Hippie' / 'Stop The War' / Let's Get Motivated & Vocal mindset and frame.

Occasionally, we took our genuine anger at British policy in Ireland or global against American activities, out onto the streets where riots did indeed start between 'the People and 'the State'... Ashamedly, we didn't unite back then as much and fequently, we fought with each other. I honestly believe this was bourne more from frustration than a need to ever be violent. Tensions rose. Angers were voiced. Police and soldiers were deployed and all hell broke loose to a backdrop of Led Zepellin, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Undertones, early REM, The Fall and U2. All the while, the John Peel Sessions entertained and kept us musically alert and clued-up...

So. I hope I've given you some sort of insight into Northern Ireland (how I view / viewed it) and my perspectives Alan. Back to this thread and topic. Anyone who takes a stand against war is (imho), an artist. Activists, artists, certain journalists, conscientious objectors, new media artists / musicians / producers / reporters and writers have long been aware of the power they have to voice the opinion of 'the People' or rally calls of defiance at global injustice or against 'the State'. I believe we are all ethically bound to and share resources in the process. Inspire one another. Sensitize one another...

We know that a joke, news item, performance, picture, poem, song, statue or story can inspire more people in one hour than 10,000 politicians working round-the-clock or religeous fanatics / martyrs ever could. Keep playing music. Keep sharing art and resources. Keep the spirit of John Peel's musical awareness alive and vibrant online. Where possible, address anything we believe to be 'de-sensitised' or assist if requested with a creative response while remembering: Our sense of urgency in the world and our natural anger and contempt towards the authorities continuing the war in the Middle East are human and humane responses to their sickness.

They are ill.

If we pull together, I believe we can summon and maintain the strength to stop them spreading their diseased and disorderly, greed-fuelled weakness through us all... Remember, the Anti - G8 marches and how one way or another we were opposed to the Blair's and Bush's of this world? Had it not been for the 'suicide' bomb (and I can't help thinking, politically convenient) attacks on London in July 2005, the next day, we'd be 8 months wiser down the line. Even more clue'd up and further opposed to what's happening now as we speak, out in Iran...

I'll conclude by saying; I welcome your response to this Alan and if either you or another member wants to join in this discussion / or potential debate any further, then so will I and; nice one...

Writing has happened and Art strikes again.

Sweet 8) ...

* Polydor.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.

Return to “Debate & Discussion on Sensitize ©”