self-publishing

This link will take you to ongoing debates and discussions on several topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©. All members of Sensitize © are welcome to start new debates and discussions.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

self-publishing

Post by Mike Daniels »

Okay, at the outset let me say that I'm not a big fan of self-publishing. despite the increasing pile of rejection slips, it's still not the route down which I want to go.

However, I have a long piece - about 20 A4 sheets long - that I've been knocking into shape over the last twelve months. I suspect, nay, I know it is unpublishable. (Modern Alchemy, by name, its out on my blog at the moment.)

I was thinking of doing a 'lulu' with it, and wondered what you guys thought of the idea.

Any advice, thoughts, opinions would be readily welcome.

Mike
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

Hi Mike :)

Sorry, can you clarify for me what you mean by 'lulu' please? I'm not familiar with that term mate.

Thanks.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

lulu is a self publishing company

www.lulu.com/uk

Mike
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

danimik wrote:lulu is a self publishing company

www.lulu.com/uk

Mike
Ah, now I understand Mike. To be honest, I think you should. At the end of the day you will have a published work out there in circulation that sells and adds to interest in your other works.

I know that it is technically 'vanity publishing' but if you have faith in your work, then this can only be a good thing. Further to this; I enjoy a lot of your work, so you can add me to the list of potential customers. I'd be happy to read it mate. I'm on the dole, so please bear this in mind and that it may take me a few weeks to get the money up. If you do take this option, can you either email me or private message me on here with your details and I'll set about buying a copy, oh and promoting it with your approval...

Also, plug yerself like crazy on here dude. The promotion and gaining of potential incomes from our work is the driving force behind what Sensitize is all about.

Best wishes with it all Mike :D ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

lulu.com is NOT vanity publishing, Lugh. Vanity publishing is where you pay a company astonishing amounts of money for the privilege of seeing your book in print. You buy the books, and then sell them on as best you can. The very best exposé of the business comes in Umberto Eco's superb novel, "Foucault's Pendulum" which has hilarious descriptions of the way such companies operate.

lulu.com is self-publishing. The company gives you the facilities to do it yourself, with you calling all the shots if you so wish, or buying in additional help if you need it. They are highly regarded, and give a quality service. I seem to remember the Sunday Times, ages ago, saying lulu.com and companies like it were the way forward.

Sounds like sense to me, Mike. Either do that, or, find a local printer who might be able to do something for you at a good price. That's the absolute cheapest option, and the one which a few writers of my acquaintance use to good effect.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Oops :oops: ...

Cheers Delph and sincere apologies Mike...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “Debate & Discussion on Sensitize ©”