Tin Can Man by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2005 / 2007

This link will take you to poetry by featured guests and members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Tin Can Man by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2005 / 2007

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

tin can man
By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2005 / 2007. All Rights Reserved.

four fifty-nine am
the tin can man
as I've come to call him
is making a racket
in the carpark below

he stamps on the empties
angrily crushing them
under his boot.
ranting to gulls about god.
silly sod. like they'd know!

who knows?
maybe he's right.
maybe he has answers
to deep rooted questions
we all should be asking...

Quick request of danimik and delph_ambi.

I first began writing this poem (Tin Can Man) back in 2005 and it later inspired me to write a short screenplay called; The Groundsmen which is now sadly lost somewhere deep in the depths of Dome 2.

That screenplay was about bi-polar depression and many of the misunderstandings concerning the condition. I also lost the finalised version of the poem up above.

Mike (danimik), you might remember the work I put into this and hopefully you recall how you assisted me with the structuring.

I would be grateful to you and Delph if you gave me a few pointers on the salvaged version up above please. Are there any suggestions either of you can make on the piece to tease it out further and perhaps make it more impacting?

Thanks in advance...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Fri May 09, 2008 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

This one's very familiar. I'm sure I've made suggestions before. However, here are some new ones.

First of all, I did a little digging on Dome2, and found an older version. It had an additional stanza at the end. Didn't need it. This is tighter. (I only found it because someone had quoted it in a response; the original was no longer there.)

I would make one or two small alterations. First stanza: I would start the second line with 'and'. Then I'd drop the third line. Obviously this is what you call him, as this is what you've just called him, so I think you don't need to say as much.

Second stanza, I'd drop 'angrily'. He's stamping, he's crushing cans under his boot, which is an aggressive action, so he's clearly not thinking about sweetness and light. I would join the second and third lines ('crushing them under his boot') to make this a four line stanza. I'd also insert 'old' between silly and sod. Simply sounds better. Easier to read out loud.

Third stanza, I would drop 'who knows?' because I don't like the repetition of 'know' from the end second stanza. For the last line, I would re-instate 'all of us need to ask' from the earlier version, rather than 'we all should be asking...'. I think it's stronger, and it gives you the rhyme with 'deep', so flows well from the previous line. Much better rhythm too.

Thus with my suggested revisions, you have:

four fifty-nine am
and the tin can man
is making a racket
in the carpark below

he stamps on the empties
crushing them under his boot.
silly old sod. like they'd know!

maybe he's right.
maybe he has answers
to deep rooted questions
all of us need to ask.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:This one's very familiar. I'm sure I've made suggestions before. However, here are some new ones.

First of all, I did a little digging on Dome2, and found an older version. It had an additional stanza at the end. Didn't need it. This is tighter. (I only found it because someone had quoted it in a response; the original was no longer there.)

I would make one or two small alterations. First stanza: I would start the second line with 'and'. Then I'd drop the third line. Obviously this is what you call him, as this is what you've just called him, so I think you don't need to say as much.

Second stanza, I'd drop 'angrily'. He's stamping, he's crushing cans under his boot, which is an aggressive action, so he's clearly not thinking about sweetness and light. I would join the second and third lines ('crushing them under his boot') to make this a four line stanza. I'd also insert 'old' between silly and sod. Simply sounds better. Easier to read out loud.

Third stanza, I would drop 'who knows?' because I don't like the repetition of 'know' from the end second stanza. For the last line, I would re-instate 'all of us need to ask' from the earlier version, rather than 'we all should be asking...'. I think it's stronger, and it gives you the rhyme with 'deep', so flows well from the previous line. Much better rhythm too.

Thus with my suggested revisions, you have:

four fifty-nine am
and the tin can man
is making a racket
in the carpark below

he stamps on the empties

maybe he's right.
maybe he has answers
to deep rooted questions
all of us need to ask.
Hi Delph...

Thanks for taking the time out to review this piece. It definitely needed your editing skills. However, I'm not sure if I'm happy with the last line and think it would read better (sounds better) if it was; 'all of us should ask.' I've got people calling here soon, so will make the changes tomorrow.

Nice one :) ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

I think that last line is simply a question of one's own natural speech rhythms, Lugh. Obviously go with what works best for you.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

delph_ambi wrote:I think that last line is simply a question of one's own natural speech rhythms, Lugh. Obviously go with what works best for you.
Cheers Delph :D ...
Last edited by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh on Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Tin Can Man. By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2005 / 2007

tin can man
Editor - Catherine Edmunds.
  • four fifty-nine am
    and the tin can man
    is making a racket
    in the carpark below

he stamps on the empties

maybe he's right.
    maybe he has answers
    to deep rooted questions
    all of us should ask...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Mike Daniels
poet & writer
Location: The English Queen's Arse, Tongue First 'n' Lovin' It ...

Post by Mike Daniels »

Late to the party as usual - its all about making an entrance, you know.

I'd suggest removal of the gerunds...its an old saw, I know, and not always appropriate, but they do have a habit of slowing things down and removing tension from a piece.

four fifty-nine am
and the tin can man
makes a racket
in the carpark below

he stamps on the empties,
crushes them under his boot,
rants to gulls about god.

maybe he's right.
maybe he has answers
to deep rooted questions
all of us should ask...

Can't think of anything else at present

Mike
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

danimik wrote:Late to the party as usual - its all about making an entrance, you know.

I'd suggest removal of the gerunds...its an old saw, I know, and not always appropriate, but they do have a habit of slowing things down and removing tension from a piece.

four fifty-nine am
and the tin can man
makes a racket
in the carpark below

maybe he's right.
maybe he has answers
to deep rooted questions
all of us should ask...

Can't think of anything else at present

Mike
Hi Mike :) ...

Welcome back mate and thanks for your feedback on Tin Can Man too. Yes, the changes you have recommended for it, make it more effective and fluidic. I will incorporate them into the next edit and add you to the credits along with Delph as an Editor.

You do realise that that absolute cad; Spacecadet Dave is up to all sorts of bedivilment on here? I'm at my wit's end with both him and Marmite. Not sleeping at night and waking whenever I do, I'm screaming:-

"It's all Dave's fault!"

And:

"Feckin' Marmite..!"

This was highly embarrassing on the bus into town the other day. When I mentioned 'Marmititus' everyone else shrieked and ducked under their seats. One even dived through a window. Strange carry-on :? ...

He (Dave) also edited my photograph and implied I like the horrid substance.

So.., what am I saying with all of this?

Oh yes, that's it.

I'll give you a tenner if you write a poem about Marmititus, that satisfies Dave's fiendish appetite and abhorent pleasure for the terrible stuff and quells this latest outbreak. I'm firmly convinced that like Golum in the Lord Of The Rings stories, Dave is actually a decent sort that's been turned into an advert executive for this dark and dreadful vegetarian goo. I believe that, if subjected to enough poetry he will crack and become sane...

Oh yeah. Guinness have merged with Marmite to make a crossover hybrid. Dreadful affair. Nothing, and I mean nothing, is safe anymore...

For further details on just how delirious Dave has become, and how mad Guinness are becoming, go to the Dear Dave thread and see for yourself.

They're all mad I tellz ya.

M A D :shock: ..!
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

Tin Can Man. By Louis P. Burns aka Lugh © 2005 / 2007

tin can man
Editors - Catherine Edmunds & Mike Daniels.
  • four fifty-nine am
    and the tin can man
    makes a racket
    in the carpark below

maybe he's right.
    maybe he has answers
    to deep rooted questions
    all of us should ask...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “New Media Poetry on Sensitize ©”