An idea for little old me.

This link will take you to general messages or topics of interest to members of Sensitize ©.

Moderator: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet
visitor

An idea for little old me.

Post by spacecadet »

Hmmmm.

As last night got to somewhere near to the bottom of the second bottle of port I was made an offer.

A long standing friend and musician verbalised a longing to start gigging again, but he wasn't inclined to go through the bother and heartache associated with forming a Rock band. He'd been there. Done that. Got the leather T-shirt.

"Dave," sayeth he, "do yo uremember John Ottway and Wild Willy Barrett? John used to do music and Wild Willy would sing and tell mad poems. It was wicked. We could do that. I'll do the guitar stuff, you tell some poems, a few jokes and a few of your songs."

Well to be truthful I do remember Wild Willy Barrett because he nearly got me fired from a job I had. He was performing at a venue in Yorkshire and I was running the doors and wouldn't let him in without a ticket. It was his own Benefit gig and the management were not happy with me.

"But I can't sing?" I protested.

"Neither could Barrett. Let's be honest." was the reply.

Hmmmm.

We talked about it for an hour or so and came up with some ideas, some good (like the all new media of "Slash" poetry) and some bad ("you can't threaten the audience with guns, even in the name of art!" said guitarist friend).

I suppose the idea is we get ourselves on gig lists and do spots before/between/after the main acts. A sort of unsupporting support of light and heavy relief in the very best tradition of punk poets.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
site owner, media producer & writer

Re: An idea for little old me.

Post by Louis P. Burns aka Lugh »

spacecadet wrote:Hmmmm.

As last night got to somewhere near to the bottom of the second bottle of port I was made an offer.

A long standing friend and musician verbalised a longing to start gigging again, but he wasn't inclined to go through the bother and heartache associated with forming a Rock band. He'd been there. Done that. Got the leather T-shirt.

"Dave," sayeth he, "do yo uremember John Ottway and Wild Willy Barrett? John used to do music and Wild Willy would sing and tell mad poems. It was wicked. We could do that. I'll do the guitar stuff, you tell some poems, a few jokes and a few of your songs."

Well to be truthful I do remember Wild Willy Barrett because he nearly got me fired from a job I had. He was performing at a venue in Yorkshire and I was running the doors and wouldn't let him in without a ticket. It was his own Benefit gig and the management were not happy with me.

"But I can't sing?" I protested.

"Neither could Barrett. Let's be honest." was the reply.

Hmmmm.

We talked about it for an hour or so and came up with some ideas, some good (like the all new media of "Slash" poetry) and some bad ("you can't threaten the audience with guns, even in the name of art!" said guitarist friend).

I suppose the idea is we get ourselves on gig lists and do spots before/between/after the main acts. A sort of unsupporting support of light and heavy relief in the very best tradition of punk poets.
And a bloody good idea it is 'n' all mate. In fact, it's probably what this world needs now. Articulate Activists who will not bow down. Who will not be spoken down to. Who will stand up and through the medium of Performance Poetry and Song, ask valid questions of the scum running our world.

You have my full backing on this one. If there is anything Upstate Renegade Productions can do to assist you with this, or to publicise any gigs you're involved with. It would be a pleasure Dave.

Always remember:-
THE LAST LINE OF DEFENCE...!!!

image copyright property of:-
http://www.oldpunks.com/anarchy.JPG.jpg
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS
Telephone (UK): 028 71219225

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

We shall hope to pose some very crucial questions to those in charge. I'll be using a few existing pieces in the line up and will be writing another couple over the next week or two. I suppose we'll only need about 15 minutes of material as I can't see any audience lasting longer than that.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet wrote:We shall hope to pose some very crucial questions to those in charge. I'll be using a few existing pieces in the line up and will be writing another couple over the next week or two. I suppose we'll only need about 15 minutes of material as I can't see any audience lasting longer than that.
If you have a minidisc or mp3 recorder there, and you have the time to record a few samples of this work, you could email them over or run them through an IM service to me. I'd really like to hear them.

Diarmuid (Diesel Engine) is kept fairly busy these days with other projects but I'm almost sure I could get him to edit some images together for you. We would gladly host this on our domain alongside my video-poem; High Velocity and link to it all from there and the version of High Velocity we have stored up on Google / YouTube.com. Oh, and we'd plug it all like crazy for you as well mate :wink: ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh
Administrator, editor & owner of the Sensitize © online community of forums and domain for artists, e-poets, filmmakers, media/music producers and writers working through here. To buy the Kindle book of Illustrated Poetry, Sensitize © - Volume One / Poems that could be Films if they were Funded by myself with illustrations by Welsh filmmaker and graphic artist; Norris Nuvo click here for N. Ireland and UK sales. If purchasing in the U.S.A. or internationally then please click here.

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

My writing is not covered by Creative Commons policy and may not be republished without permission. All rights reserved. All Sensitize © Arts sponsorship donations and postal inquiries to:

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Click here to Join Sensitize © Arts via Facebook or to contact the site owner: Louis P. Burns aka Lugh with any forum hosting or site related inquiries.
spacecadet
visitor

Post by spacecadet »

Lugh wrote:
spacecadet wrote:We shall hope to pose some very crucial questions to those in charge. I'll be using a few existing pieces in the line up and will be writing another couple over the next week or two. I suppose we'll only need about 15 minutes of material as I can't see any audience lasting longer than that.
If you have a minidisc or mp3 recorder there, and you have the time to record a few samples of this work, you could email them over or run them through an IM service to me. I'd really like to hear them.

Diarmuid (Diesel Engine) is kept fairly busy these days with other projects but I'm almost sure I could get him to edit some images together for you. We would gladly host this on our domain alongside my video-poem; High Velocity and link to it all from there and the version of High Velocity we have stored up on Google / YouTube.com. Oh, and we'd plug it all like crazy for you as well mate :wink: ...
You, Upstaterenegade and the planet earth are not ready for what we may be unleashing upon you.

It's going to be a performance piece which noone will understand. In fact if anyone does understand it then we will have done it wrong.
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

spacecadet wrote: You, Upstaterenegade and the planet earth are not ready for what we may be unleashing upon you.
Ha! I'll double your anarchy and see your chaos (serious poker face). If your intention is to swing and throw gay, gang-banging elves at the President or Prime Minister while reciting Wordsworth at 78rpm backwards into a garden hose placed strategically up Jack Straw's extremely mal-formed nose. Then, you may just have a point.
spacecadet wrote: It's going to be a performance piece which noone will understand. In fact if anyone does understand it then we will have done it wrong.
Not..!
  • BAM...!!!
    • BAM...!!!
      • BAM...!!!

Tolstoy's War And Peace - Performed by Mad Michael Gill (in safety boots, flying goggles and frilly pink knickers) :shock: ..!
              • You'll be arrested..!
Image in this post is to;-
http://www.global-vision.org/interview/ ... scream.gif
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Catherine Edmunds
artist, poet & writer

Post by Catherine Edmunds »

Brilliant idea, Dave. Let us know how it goes. I'll happy advertise your gigs on MySpace, and anywhere else I can think of.
cliqtech
visitor

Post by cliqtech »

Lugh wrote:the version of High Velocity
This is really good mate! :D

Powerful stuff!
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

cliqtech wrote:
Lugh wrote:the version of High Velocity
This is really good mate! :D

Powerful stuff!
Aye, but the timing's gone a bit arse-ended on YouTube. Dunno why. Will need to get Diesel (the Editor) to have a look and see if it can be tightened up.

It was a great project to work on too. Diesel (Diarmuid) did all the filming and editing, so major kudos to him for his hard work. I wrote it a few years back while attending some creative writing masterclasses run by David Gothard and Brian Gillespie then worked with me to pace it.

We have a few more planned including The Gadgets Man but tbh a bit of funding or private sponsorship would be helpful. Nothing big, but enough to package and promote it all. Finger's crossed it'll come together...

Thanks for your feedback Cliq. Very much appreciated mate :D ...
Louis P. Burns aka Lugh

ASIN B00L1RS0UI

Louis P. Burns
42 Farland Way
DERRY
N. Ireland.
BT48 0RS

Return to “General Messages on Sensitize ©”